View Single Post
Old 10-10-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmonkey View Post
Thanks for reports on Muir and Hasse. Have been thinking of trying both.

I consider an expert anyone that has put well over 10,000 hours in.

I've seen Flyguy and others outfish me on many days.

Still another 4 or 5 thousand hours left before I get my expert badge. Lol !
An expert is not someone who catches lots of fish in an outing. An expert is not some with 10,000 hours fishing. 10,000 hours fishing a balanced leech doesn’t make an expert. Likely you were just simplifying.

An expert is someone who catches far more than anyone else on the lake. When fishing slows they change locations, depth, fly, presentation and keep catching when everyone else stops catching.

It’s when the person gets to a new lake and starts off catching nothing and then figures it out and starts catching.

Anyone can catch fish when they are biting stupid easy.

An expert catches when the fishing is tough.

Many so called experts have a go to fly and that’s all they use or maybe one other fly. They only fish with a corkie or stripping and can’t switch back and forth.

An expert ties their own flies and matches the hatch well either surface or subsurface.

An expert knows they know very little and learn daily and will watch the water as well as others. What are others doing right or wrong. What’s working for others. Where the fish are rising and what their behaviour is either fast rises or slow rises.

I’ve fished with experts and they are and I’ve fished with “expert” who don’t have a clue and they don’t know they don’t have a clue.

It’s true 5% of anglers consistently catch 95% of the fish.

An expert can fish from shore, from a row boat, canoe, kayak, float tube…

Where ever you are on the range… what matters most is are you outdoors and having fun.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 10-10-2023 at 11:35 AM.