View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 07:59 AM
AO Sponsor

I must admit that I am trying to get a handle on the situation. To date my perception of the Algonquin wolf is that it is simply an over-glorified coyote. There are many special interest groups on the other side that will attempt every angle, excuse,or otherwise that they can, in order to bring end to the trapper, regularly based upon human emotion, and not science. Welcome to the modern age where emotion is regularly trumping science and kicking science into the back corner. Perhaps this is the case on this issue and the trappers are doing it?

I see these "wolves" in the fur auction annually when I go to Toronto. Looks exactly like a nice big coyote, but has been labelled and graded as a wolf, yet the hair looks the same, the size seems the same, the color as the 3XL eastern coyotes. Guys even go thru the trouble of skinning the feet out for taxidermy, yet this is not an animal that is impressive enough for any wolf taxidermy market buyer although I suppose there are people looking for complete coyotes.

I apologize for coming back a little strong, I'll blame that on my Dutch upbringing. With so many special interest groups coming after the trapper, it is easy to get oneself backed into a corner.

Please educate us as to why these canids are wolves and not coyotes?