View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 04:20 PM

I have a pretty neat signed item that I always have wondered if it had any value to it. It is a hat signed by both Rob and Scott Neidermeyer. When the Ducks played the Devils (who won) in the final for the Cup, the brothers were playing against each other. The league made up hats for them, with the logo for each team sharing space on the front.

My dad had a lady friend back then, and they were driving around the Kootenay area, when she got an invite from her niece to come to her husband's birthday party. Dad kinda wasn't into it, but went, and turned out the husband was Scott, and he was at the lake with his family, including brother Rob...and the Stanley Cup. So my dad spent the day tooling around the lake with them on the boat, drinking their beer, and I have a picture of him holding the Cup with Scott. They both signed the hat, and when my dad got home he showed it to me.

Seriously, my dad has never watched a full hockey game in his life, the closest he came was watching two periods of his grandson play (my son) before he wanted to bail and go play cribbage. He wouldn't know a poke check from a cross check, an offside from icing. Hated hockey. I was pure green envy monster about him getting to spend time with the brothers, at the lake, with the Cup, in the boat drinking their beer.

Dad could have cared less, so he gave me the hat, and I have the picture of him and Scott with the Cup. A cool story, especially now that dad is gone.

But I'm still kinda ticked it wasn't me. Although, if it meant dating his lady friend Bertha (that really was her name)....I guess maybe not.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-24-2019 at 04:25 PM.