View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Prime example of when to use a magnum rifle. I’d use my Creedmoor on elk while still hunting, which is the intent I had for the rifle when I bought it, still hunting. If I were to come across a charging grizzly while still hunting I’d much rather have my Creedmoor than a can or seasoning spray.

A 26 Nosler hits like the hammer of Thor, and will easily break the shoulders of a moose, it’s a 6.5 projectile.

With these 6.5 threads, common sense plays as an important roll as it does when using any other caliber. It’s best to leave the what if’s out, especially if they don’t apply.
Yes a 26 Nosler will break the shoulders on a moose or elk, but a 26 Nosler isn't a 6.5 CM. or 260rem, or a 6.5x55, which all have comparable ballistics, and perform similarly on game. I personally like to carry a cartridge that will handle any game that I encounter, and pretty much any situation that I might encounter, so while I feel comfortable carrying a 260rem, or 6.5x55 for deer or or moose where I am not likely to run into a grizzly, I carry my 7mmstw even when hunting sheep, because if I am ever charged by another grizzly, I feel confident that it will stop a charge. And I don't mind carrying the extra weight, in that situation. And I have seen a couple of dozen grizzlies while hunting sheep or elk in the mountains.