View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Salavee;3885751]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Ya I almost cut and paste the sd and velocity paragraphs but the whole article is correct and accurate. Sure explains why you see lots of pokes holes through ungulates fro magnums loaded for bear so to speak, too fast and too delayed expansion a bullet not matched to game intended. Read overkill. Then you match an impact velocity, adequate sd and more rapid controlled expansion bullet to suit ungulates and voila, much more spectacular performance. Ie my Grendel moose vs the magnum moose killed a few days earlier. First was told about the two first shots through the liver like 1” apart, nice group, dead on feet. But he used those feet for a lot more than mine did. I think a third shot anchored it? Anyway, so did my Grendel, liver was destroyed, think 12 gauge from 6’ feet, 4” of femur destroyed on shot 2, oh and my third anchored also...lifting a few inches of skull plate off and the antler attached to it...looks good on the coffee table. No flies on the Grendel is right but actually it’s no flies on .252 sd at 2430 fps impact velocity with rapid controlled expansion bullet. Spectacular performance imo, 15 yrd recovery vs I can’t remember but other recovery turned out to be further than wanted and got into tough spot and a 2 am get home sort of night. Mine was in truck before lunch time with a pretty lazy start to the morning. What cartridge was better suited? Hmmm

Magnums don’t help, not sure where they do for Alberta hunting?[/QUOTE

Although I don't use one, Magnums do have their place

This "discussion" wasn't about 6.5cm vs magnums anyway. You chose that .300WM comparison.
It had more to do with terminal ballistics, SD and velocity, in particular ,being the only two things to be concerned about. Only uninformed idiots thought different in your opinion. In your explanation(s) you pitted the CM against every cartridge in practically every hunting caliber that can be found.That in itself would cause quite a stir..and rightfully so. All you posted that was correct was old news to most.

.. BTW Bob Nosler had a bullets,energy transfer and penetration thing figured out in the early '50s when he designed the partition. so nothing new there either. Try them and quit worrying about penetration and SD

Bob had the right idea, build a bullet likely to retain as much sd as possible.😉

It’s how we see the same thing lol