Thread: Maligne Lake
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Can you help me rationalize the new booking system please
I live 1/2 hour away from the lake, as do many I know and most of the locals I know were unable to get a booking for any dates this summer. We've done an annual trip sames dates every year for 20 years up until they changed the booking system and now we've been shut out 2 years in a row. campsites are booked solid all summer long but there are vacant sites most nights.
Yes I know there's no random camping. Is sleeping in your boat random camping?
Maybe they changed the system so that non-locals would have an fairer chance of getting a spot, as opposed to the same locals always getting spots 20 years in a row?

More seriously - and before you jump at me - I am a non-local and I do believe it would be appropriate to set aside a small portion of dates and spots just for locals. That way, there's a decent chance locals can still get a spot when the booking opens up at 8am and there are 25,000 people in line, online.

No joke: at one point, I was in the queue ~22,800 in line!!!

Anyways, locals live there, support the town, the local economy, there should be something to recognize that. Or some argument to that effect.

The issue is the same all over the province; everyone is camping these days, everyone wants to be outdoors. Now add to this mixture, Maligne is stunningly beautiful, and Jasper promotes it up the wazoo. Isn't Spirit Island like the number one postcard (or is it Peyto...or Lake Louise...lol). So, moreover, the international tourists know it well. So there is HUGE demand.

Frankly, JNP could double the size of Fisherman's and Coronet and probably add another 1-2 campsites just to meet current demand. But how much human impact do we want at that lake? How many humans would start to negatively impact the experience and the environment?

Mountain Guy, I respect that your local and may have an inside scoop, but everytime I've been to Fisherman's and Coronet, I have never seen a vacant campsite. Not once.