View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
For a lark I signed up to the Purdey website a while back and get notifications of what’s for sale.
Got this today https://www.purdey.com/heritage-guns...eid=436fb45504 $190,000.00!!!
Obvious I’m running in the wrong circles 🤣

You aren't missing anything. I shot a matched set of Purdies on a driven shoot and also shot a matched set of Italian guns used by an Italian Duke Ii took upland hunting many years ago. Both sets were absolutely beautiful guns but the difference between them and a set of matched shotguns that cost about 1/8th the price cannot be detected in the shooting.

Many if not most of the people that hunt in Europe are truly rich, the cost of these guns is not even a minor impediment to them but showing up with a matched set of Browning shotguns or Perazzi would definitely put you outside the uniform of your social group. Just the fact that the one fellows loaner guns were Purdies and that he had absolutely no qualms about letting me use them tells you how differently these guys view expensive guns. Like so many things, it is partly appreciation of the quality and craftsmanship and partly fitting in with the crowd you travel in.