View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 10:09 AM

Suturing is NOT a life saving technique (unless performed by a trauma surgeon to close off an artery)! Pack and pressure or tourniquet and transition (tourniquets are taught and accepted as a life saving technique - if used properly)!

I'm not saying suturing wth dental floss doesn't happen in the backcountry (with success), I'm saying one shouldn't do it if not trained (due to liability reasons or making things worse). People have free will and will do what they want...

[QUOTE=Battle Rat;3812292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not on Facebook, so I cannot see the article you posted...

That being said, nobody, I repeat nobody should be suturing anyone without medical training (out in the boonies or at home)!! I'm not sure why people think that they can (or should)!

Because you can't suture a two day old wound and you are 3 days from a hospital.
I know of two incidents where the person was glad to have there hands sutured in remote camps in the Yukon.
Making contact with a SPOT or Sat phone doesn't lift the clouds to allow a float plane to land.
It's not uncommon to be weather in for several days.
I can't legally apply a tourniquet but in a remote area either but I am not going sit and wait for a person to bleed out.

-Confucius