View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 07:10 AM

[QUOTE=wind drift;3725530]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Folks,

Received emails from two retired Govt. bios. Neither supported the Central Alberta Program as presented and indicated that the real issues lie how trout habitat is dealt with in Alberta.
They a pointed out many issues with the Program =QUOTE]

I don’t understand how the opinions of retired bios, who were responsible for protecting fish and habitat for two or three decades while our native trout declined on their watch, should carry much weight. The bottom line is that they didn’t have any answers or solutions then and they’ve not likely come up with any sine they left. I’m sure they were sincere and noble in their efforts, but good intentions don’t bring fish back. It probably feels better to criticize now than to admit many years were spent watching things get worse. I wouldn’t be surprised if those bios stocked non-natives in streams and considered bull trout and little Athabasca rainbows less desirable.

Wind....
What you must remember. There must be political will to support our fisheries. About 20 years ago I recall asking a former Director of Fisheries when they were going to do something about the illegal stream crossings in Swan Gills. His response " Don, you know how business is done in Alberta"!
Many biologists generated and proposed changes that fell on ears who would rather "develop".
As one Minister of the Govt told me, we can't have those guys (meaning bios.) stop this.
Guess the new Govt is a more interested in dealing with the issue.
We got what was voted for.
One time I agreed with Jim Prentice when he said " it is our fault".

Don

Last edited by Don Andersen; 02-07-2018 at 07:15 AM.