Thread: Scotch
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 10:21 PM

So I had the pleasure of going to a whisky tasting tonight, and it was the best yet here. We got to try several limited edition whiskies, and much fun was had by all.....

We sampled a Glendronach Sauterne Cask finish, 1993 Glen Garioch, 1989 Macallan (beauty!), a 21 year old Jura (my favorite of the night), Arran Orkney Bere, Springbank Cask 12 yr, Ledaig (very nice for the price), Bunnahabhain Ceobanach (lots of smoke, complex and long finish)....and then...

We finished with the Bruichladdich Octomore 6.3. In the World of Whisky, this is the new King of the Hill for phenol. Previously, the Octomore 6.1 had a rating of 169 (compare that to a Laphroaig Quarter Cask which is probably mid 60s?). The 6.3 is rated at 258, I kid you not. It was kind of like drinking a good cigar that was lit at both ends. I can't hardly describe it, and though I enjoyed it, I would almost call it a novelty whisky. Kind of like the hottest hot sauce in the world...you get it and drink it because you can? Apparently only 3 cases made it to Alberta.

http://www.bruichladdich.com/article...3-islay-barley

So, I bought a couple bottles, because I have friends who must try it at some point, just to say they did, and because it won't be around for long (limited bottling). It is 63% AVB, so a bit of water is in order!

I also picked up a Jura, I will do a proper review of that soon, and also of the 15 yr Tomatin I picked up. Now, I need to go sell a nice gun to pay for all that whisky! Was a lovely evening.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone