View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 10:12 PM

I incorporated in 2015 as an instrument tech. Super easy. Not a lot to worry about, honestly. But I guess it's relative as it's pretty easy for me to navigate the various websites and do the necessary things, and I was not employed full time at the time. Your mileage may vary. I never used a lawyer once, and I found a good, small accounting company that handles my year end - GST, corporate/personal taxes, etc.

You're going to want WCB, commercial liability insurance, commercial vehicle registration, commercial vehicle insurance (or possibly just business use, but if you're out in the field I doubt it) and probably a city/township business development permit and business licence for the year. You might have to/want to register with a safety authority, too. My WCB premiums pay for my membership in ACSA.

I know I got set up for well under $2000 but I did everything myself. (excluding monthly insurance payments which were not expensive at all.)

Not sure how you want to get paid, but I avoid the "60 days net" terms by accepting credit cards. I use "Wave Accounting" (free, Canadian, web-based software) to produce invoices and my clients can pay by credit card through a secure site. It costs 2.5% but the cash is in the account in 3 days.

Good luck, man! Exciting stuff.