Thread: Coyote skinner
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
I've seen the $13. jobs with the heads mangled and greasy fur.
I've seen similar with $15 skin jobs with fat dripping off the hide. In fact, I spent some time in a well known skinner's shack. "You don't have to do that, most of it will come off in the washing machine." Yeah, he did them quickly (not as fast as 9 minutes....lol) but his work was merely good enough IMO. When you gave his pelts a flick they sounded stiff like cardboard from not fleshing nearly enough. Mine sound like wax paper. Considering that that is the first thing that the grader does to help determine what grade to give it, I think that's just a little bit important, but everyone has their standards.

The point that I'll make is that you are no farther ahead by cheaping out on getting your coyotes put up. It's important. If you have a choice between a $15 skinner who'll do a half fast job and a $30 skinner that will take the time to do things well you're going to come out ahead with higher grades. If you can find a $15 skinner that does a $30 job you had better treat him well because they are rare.

I have the luxury of having the time to put up all my own fur so I'll pay myself $15 per plus the extra $20 that I'll get in better grades.