View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setterman View Post
I have been an Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education for almost 10 years. The online course is a great substitute for those individuals who can not connect with instructors in there area but it is no substitute for an actual course. In order to run a course it must be a minimum of 20 hours where the students learn all sorts of different aspect to hunting and conservation. The hands on learning that takes place is not available from the online version. If i was a parent I would make my child attend a course. I have had many students with learning disabilites and I try and accomadate by providing readers and so forth. The real issue about cheating does not revolve around how the course is delivered but how many people just lie on their WIN applications and say they have taken the course. I am sure that AHEIA keeps records of who takes the course but do F&W ever check these records???? My experience with AHEIA has been great as they truly believe their motto of " Making wildlife and wildplace part of the value system of all Albertans".

I agree, the on line course is handy but the student will get more out of the program if they did it in class and had some practicle lessons. I took this course with my family when it first came about back in 1985 (i was 10) and it was great. If I recall it was once or twice a week in the evening for a month, then we went on a weekend campout where we built our own leantoo, started signal fires, made banick, and shot trap. It was a great experience compared to taking it in junior high school 4 years later.
My daughter is comming 12 and if i can get her in on a practicle-hands on class I will but if its not available we will go on line.