Thread: 1285 Fox
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Keg, ever since you posted this I've been searching for an article on the internet that I read a couple of years ago. It explained in detail of how coyotes migrated in Alberta. According to the story, there never were any coyotes in northern portions of Alberta because it was all wolf territory. Amazingly, at least to me, not even 100 years ago there were very few coyotes even as far south as the Edmonton area where I am. All of the coyotes that we have now migrated from the plains in southern Alberta and worked their way north as more and more land was developed and the wolves pushed out. This may explain why you have fewer coyotes where you are as opposed to more southern regions.

I'm going to keep trying to find the article/info because it's pretty darned interesting.

PS. IMO it's just a matter of time before raccoons make the same migration and establish themselves farther and farther north.
I read something similar. I don't doubt that much is true but it wouldn't have had anything to do with the presence of Wolves and it would have been well before my time.

Around here, there were as many Coyote when I was a kid as there are now. The Wolf numbers however have increased dramatically.

My dad came to the Peace country in 1927, there were about the same number of Coyotes then as there were when he died in 1988, or so he said.
And there were Wolves, more then there was when I was a kid from what dad said.

Fox were different. When he came into the country they were increasing.
By 1950 they were the staple of many trappers income. Then the rabies plaque and subsequent poisoning program wiped them out.
There were none anywhere in the district when I started learning how to trap. The first Fox I saw in the Peace district was a classic Silver that I saw east of Codotte lake in 1978.
The first Fox I caught walked into a Lynx snare of mine the winter of 1992.
Now I see them all over the north but there doesn't seem to be a lot of them.

George Bernard Shaw