Thread: 1285 Fox
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Things change. I don't know what it's like around central Alberta. Wetaskiwin, Camrose, Pigeon Lake, these days but I know that when I lived there there were far more Coyotes there then here.
And I know that the Coyote population here is about the same as it was when I was a kid.
And right now we have very few Fox and a ton of Wolves.
Keg, ever since you posted this I've been searching for an article on the internet that I read a couple of years ago. It explained in detail of how coyotes migrated in Alberta. According to the story, there never were any coyotes in northern portions of Alberta because it was all wolf territory. Amazingly, at least to me, not even 100 years ago there were very few coyotes even as far south as the Edmonton area where I am. All of the coyotes that we have now migrated from the plains in southern Alberta and worked their way north as more and more land was developed and the wolves pushed out. This may explain why you have fewer coyotes where you are as opposed to more southern regions.

I'm going to keep trying to find the article/info because it's pretty darned interesting.

PS. IMO it's just a matter of time before raccoons make the same migration and establish themselves farther and farther north.