View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Kinda new to the elk hunting but, will it be too late to call elk next week? Or will they be shy to the cow calling?
The elk respond to cow calls year round. It is their language. Even during the peak rut elk sometimes do not come to the call. There are many reasons but mostly it is because of predators, both 2 and 4 legged. A lot of areas are hard hit from that pressure, not just on the bull but the cows also. It can be a challenge. Sometimes I don’t call at all, just pattern the routes between food and bed and intercept. The call, any call gives my location away so I remain silent then so they don’t change routes.
Elk are vocal because of the rut from August to November with the peak of rut being right around now but sometimes they just won’t come to the call. There is a second peak somewhere around thanksgiving. The bright moon affects the day time responses as well so plan around that too. Its best to call with 2 people if the elk respond and don’t come in. The shooter moves in while the caller hangs back and keeps the elk going so the shooter can find them.

One thing is certain, you will not get one if you don’t go. Happy hunting!