View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
I just came across this thread. I’ve had nothing but trouble with this round and also the cz527. If it wasn’t for the money and time I’ve spent on this project I’d have given up long ago. But this thread looks like I might be able to get a better handle on this round.

I’ve only been able to get around 1.5 moa and that's with factory 20 & 25, 20, 25 gr Vmax, lilgun, and h4198. All the above combos and the only consistency is 1.5 moa. Lots of ruined cases from over pressure which I thot might be soft Hornady brass bc I thot published info had to be accurate. Error. At least according to your above info.

I’m also going to try to adjust out some of the after travel in the trigger as past experience has showed me that can be detrimental.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I’ll give this thread a more thorough going over and apply some of your findings.

What I’ve learned on this thread so far is that I have (correctly) been using SR magnum primers fr cci which is likely why I didn’t detect overpressure. I like the Hornady dies cuz of the drop down which holds the bullet in place while seating. I have had a lot of trouble eliminating case runout, and am not sure what to do about that yet. I’ve already gone through 100 Horn cases and was hoping new cases might help that problem.

I’ve also experienced a wide variance in empty case weight with Horn factory rounds. Not so much with Horn brass.

Also the small .17 is very fussy on keeping the barrel clean. Groups open up very quickly fr 1.5 to 4 moa if allowed to foul. Can’t remember the # of rounds to produce this but it does happen much quicker and also much more suddenly than other calibers.
Hey aardvaark~I've done more research and load preparation than I have shooting, but that's about to change now that spring actually feels like it's here in Southern Ontario. Weekend forecast is rain...but soon after.

I'd be more than happy to share my load data, as I was SUB MOA on several loads right out of the gate. I started with factory ammo (3 Hornady flavors) before I bought any bullets/powder, then quickly settled on 20gr V-Max and no others. At lclund's suggestion, the only powder I've been loading with is CFE-BLK...in spite of having LOTS of other options to try without buying another pound of powder. No regrets. My brass is once-fired Hornady, dies are Hornady, primers CCI BR4s, and loaded to a 1.72" OAL. (I think, don't have my notes with me) I had hoped that the .010" off the lands would have worked, but no dice with this bullet/rifle. I might also add, I FL resize, and have only gone as high as 13gr. of this powder...which if memory serves, is maybe .01 or .02 gr. over the highest, recommended charge. I won't exceed that, nor do I suggest anyone else do it. I only mention that because I've had zero evidence of excessive pressure.

Lastly~when shooting any centerfire, I go slow...so no signs of accuracy drop-off/fouling yet. Maybe a combination of factors there. BUT, because of my own habits and my lack of fondness for the box mag (though I love the look of it) I bought a single-shot adapter from James Calhoon. It might be the nicest, firearm accessory I've ever bought. A money order for $70 US mailed to Montana put one in my mail box about 2-3 weeks later.

I probably have less experience with 17 Hornet than anyone else who has chimed in, but if I can help...don't hesitate to ask.