View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I am shooting the CZ rifle and have tried both lil gun and H4198..Lil gun smells bad and is finicky but accuracy is great and meters better then H4198. H4198 is less finicky and give the same accuracy as Lilgun so it is a bit of a toss up...but I tend to lean towards H4198 due to smell and not quite as finicky as lil gun....I have and do use Rem 6.5 and CCI 400 primers, I have had zero issues with either.

I have found that 20gr. bullets tend to leave more walking wounded then the 25 gr. bullets and shoot them exclusively now either in Berger or Hornady v-max. V-max has a bit better bc but the gophers never notice.
These bullets have taken hundred of gophers up to 300+ yds. and 2 coyotes both yotes never moved at 25yds and 225yds. "so it will kill".

As for dies and brass well that is another story.
Hornady dies, my first ones SUCKED and customer service was none exsistant. Expander ball was to small so I had a machinist friend build me a proper sized one and was able to load a few hundred rounds ...before the seating dies cheap aluminium seater pin failed and I was left with 300 rounds primed and powdered....and no help from Hornady.....I waited 4 months to get a reply or a new set from my dealer here in town....nothing.

So off to the internet I go, a friend had a set of Hornady dies plus a bunch of brass bullets etc....so I bought then from him.... I was also was offered a set of RCBS dies from another gentleman online so I bought those as well.

Long story short I think the RCBS dies are better then the Hornady dies but both work well....if you get a good set.

Primer pockets on factory once fired brass has been loose as a goose to super tight...causing some tearing of the primer pocket cup..which caused a few issues with blow back and marking the bolt face...... on my rifle.

Though the round has been VERY challenging..... I love it...Accurate, deadly and mild mannered..... what is not to love

P.S. buy a single follower from James Calhoon....you will thank me later
Thanks for the input 6.5! I'm enjoying this thread, enjoying hearing from fans of this caliber, etc. I can't remember spending so much time/preparation/research on any caliber, especially one I've never even shot, or been in the presence of. lol I'm a big CZ rimfire fan and was instantly smitten with the rifle when I opened the box. Just a thing of beauty. For that reason..and because of the deteriorating weather situation here in Southern Ontario, I don't mind taking my time...and trying to get this right. I did pick up some once-fired Hornady brass (all gold-primer) as well as some factory ammo from Cabela's~it TOO has the gold primer. Powder, more factory ammo, Hornady Dies, Satern Powder funnel, bore guide, .17cal Proshot rod, CFE BLK~all on their way. As are 16mm, 1" MED height WARNE rings. Thought I had the right ones purchased...turns out the 19mm rings are for the CZ550.

If anybody wants a great deal on 1" MED height, CZ550 WARNE rings..PM me! lol