View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Another question...how do pike and walleye get along in remote fly-in lakes with very little fishing pressure? Are the walleye all stunted and the pike few in number? Are the forage fish scarce? I’m curious. One might think if that was the case, nobody would pay to fish them. Also makes me wonder if my Grandpa was telling tall tales about fishing Moose Lake in the 50’s and 60’s, catching boatloads of pike, walleye and perch on the same trip. I should dig up the old photos.
I was being somewhat sarcastic about the big girls choking.

The remote lakes are a more balanced ecosystem. The walleye were most likely not stocked and the predator species developed together.

My example , (might be flawed, welcome to correction) , If F&W would have stocked a million northern pike fry instead of walleye into some lakes we would have more pike and less walleye. Not a balanced ecosystem. In recent years there are more fish eating birds, like pelicans and cormorants competing for the native minnows too.

A person could still catch a good assortment of nice fish at Moose lake in the late 80's too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets