View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 07:30 PM

Hock off Skin on Pork Picnics were on sale this week at Superstore for $1.48 lb.
Also had an offer on my plus card to collect 200 points for every $ spent on fresh pork.
20,000 points redeem for $20 so long story even longer I bought 150 lbs of pork shoulder for $120 ish.

So first up is 25lb batch to recreate the Oak Smoked Manitoba Style Chunk Ham Garlic Sausage of my yute.

Because of my frugal nature and curious mind- I did not want to waste the skin , so I poached it in a Coriander Garlic Marjoram
broth as a vehicle to do a collagen extraction.
Then I cooled the skin overnight and did a coarse grind and later treated it as a hand addition to the main farce with the hand cut speed cured back bacon brined Ham chunks.
Fresh garlic and a good handful of mustard seeds brought it all together-as well as the addition of the gelatinized poaching broth that will fill any voids from the ham chunks and give a silkiness and shine to the sausage.

Let it sit overnight and I ground, assembled and hand mixed this morning.
Will leave it in the shed for 2 days for the flavors to get properly acquainted then stuff and smoke on Friday

Last edited by omega50; 10-28-2015 at 07:37 PM.