View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I find it’s the guys who only shoot 50-100 rounds a year say recoil is not an issue for them. If I only shot 50-100 rounds a year I would agree with them. Often when I set out for a weekend of shooting it’s a couple hundred, sometimes in a day depending on how many rifles I bring.

Here’s my take on the situation. Start out with a cartridge in the 08 case size, 243, 6mm, 6.5 creedmoor, 7-08, 308 type rifle and learn how to shoot. Once you’ve learned how to shoot move up but stay within your comfort level to keep up accuracy.

Biggest misconception in Hunting is that you need a magnum rifle to make a clean kill, that simply is not true. Accuracy kills, flinching won’t help with accuracy.
I never shoot 200 or even 100 rounds of target at a single sitting., but I have been known to be at the range three times in a day for 12-20 rounds each time, during load development. Once I have a load developed, I generally shoot a big game rifle 8-10 tomes per year, usually 9-12 rounds per trip. It does help to live 10 minutes from a range. If I fire 200 rounds out of a rifle in one sitting, it is while shooting ground squirrels, with a .17 caliber rimfire or my .17 hornet.