View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 PM

See, and that extra $10 a box is one of the reasons I never looked at the .270 WSM. Once I buy a gun, I'd like to put at least 500 rounds through it before I even consider taking it hunting. I want to shoot from different positions, at different ranges, with different lighting, crosswinds, and conditions, so that I know exactly how that bullet is going to behave when I take down a deer. My understanding is that the occasional animal is going to be able to run after being hit no matter what, but my inexperienced opinion is that if it is running away, bleeding and in pain, that is a disservice to hunting in general, because anyone that may come upon that animal(hikers, birdwatchers, etc) before you recover it is going to have an immediate negative opinion of hunting. Therefore, I'd like to avoid this as much as possible(also, the idea of tracking a wounded deer for any number of miles is certainly something I'd like to spare myself from). So I definitely hear you guys beating the practice drum, and I think you're absolutely right.

So, by my math:

20 rounds to a box = 25 boxes for 500 rounds(my minimum test-fire round count)
$20 a box(for cheap stuff, not even necessarily what I'll shoot; depends what the gun likes) x 25 boxes = $500.

For an initial start, this sounds pretty reasonable. Please check out my new thread, Ammuntion 101, and offer your opinions.

Thanks to everyone that posted. Please consider this thread closed.