View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 PM

I made my old mk4 into a rough duty quad/truck/trapping gun. Cut barrel down to 18.75" re-crowned and mounted a front sight ramp and blade sight. My rifle has a flip peep sight with markings for 300 and 600 I filed my sight to use the 300 for dead on at 100 yds the 600 end up being very close to 200 yd zero. Next I mounted a scope base I had kicking around on the forearm of the stock so that my stteamlight can be mounted to the rifle. ( just happens that a set of 1" rings is the perfect fit around the light). The QD ring allows the light to go on our off in a jiffy and the beam hours my front sight just enough to light it up and the main beam lights the would around in a way of extreme brightness. I am aware that discharging a firearm after dark is illegal but since big mean critters don't always come around camp in the day light it's worth it to me to have that bit of insurance. Finally I drilled and tapped the barrel just in front of the receiver for another short base and can mount a small red dot I have kicking around. The base sits low enough that it does not get in the way of the irons but I'm also able to put a holo graphic red dot on in seconds if wanted. Because of the barrel taper I could not find a factory rail top fit and allow the use of a full sized scout scope( without major shimming) and the standard scope mount for the mk4 requires the bridge for peeps to secure it I opted out of making a full scope mount an option. Other than it still being a bit heavy I love this rifle as a rough duty gun.