Thread: First fall trip
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 04:49 PM

Default First fall trip

Now that I have some time, I can post a few pics from my first fall trip out. It was a good one. I got out last weekend and hammered a bunch of nice rainbows. All of them were taking dragonfly nymphs fished just off the bottom in 6 - 8ft of water.

I love fishing dragon nymphs. I use full sink line, a short flouro leader and the countdown method to get it into the zone. If you aren't snagging weeds every few casts, you're not deep enough. The trout hit like freight trains when they take dragons, so hold onto your rod!

I find fall fish fight harder, another reason I love this time of year. These guys were jumping and tail walking like crazy followed by some long runs, a few of which took me into my backing. I landed over a dozen fish, making it the best day of my season so far.

Average size I estimated around 20 inches give or take a bit, but I'm not 100% on that since I don't take fish to be released out of the water to measure nevermind weigh them. My fly in the second picture is 1" long for reference and that fish was a little smaller than most I caught.