View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 12:28 PM

I am a first year junior on a line 100 miles north of High Level. All year I was getting tormented by an extremely high wolverine population. I studied their habits how they where approaching my sets and their routines. I set several sets in areas where ever I had them cause destruction and finally caught three in one day and still missed several more as they where traveling in pairs. Looking back at it they are not any harder to catch then a Lynx but they tend to travel so much I found the key was to have sets made one step ahead of them since they may not come back to a particular area for a month or more if at all. I caught all three of these in double lynx pens all in the back trap, it almost seemed to me that they get extremely fixated on the front trap and let their guard down for any additional hazards. Two where caught in 330's and one in a 1/16 4 foot Lynx snare all 1 1/2 miles apart, the largest one weighs 39 pounds and the smallest one weighs 30 pounds (The biggest one on record at the High Level SRD is 45 pounds). For bait I was using tainted Beaver meat and Goose wings (just like for Lynx) but the difference was I smeared Marten Magic all over the trees inside the set. Once I caught these guys I was surprised to learn that a wolverine naturally smells allot like Marten Magic.

I would love to keep them but I need to sell them to subsidized this trapping habit, I am sure these wont be the last ones I get up there in my life time.