View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
Agree with a lot of what you said, ie "why wait", etc. Selling/gifting vehicles, paying for post secondary education during or after, helping with down payments, these are some of the things I've done. There is a balance there. I happen to think it's ok for your child to struggle a little bit, ie. eat Kraft dinner when going to school, drive a clunker for a while. But help them out a bit if you can/when you can.

Good post.
Agree with this. I have also bought two daughters first vehicles, helped with second, Pay for secondary education for both and housing while in school. Helped with apartments while starting out, portion of the rent until there are established in there jobs, I really want my kids to be happy while I am alive , but they have also had to learn as they have to pay there own bills, phone, utilities, toys, groceries and portion of the rent until they were established in there careers then they take over on there own, few months, vehicle payments if they want something other than the one I bought for them. There are kids (up to 30) out there that don't know how to manage money and have never needed to, There are also lots of this same age group that do very well with there own money. I would never flaunt it to my kids and have an open wallet policy, but if they need it and I can help I will. (key word is need). get it all when I am dead is not very rewarding for either side.