Thread: Line counters
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:20 PM

Default Line counters

Okay, so I'm sort of getting into the lake trout thing and I want to get myself a line counter of some sort. I'm boatless though, so I'm dependent on a couple friends who have boats to get out there, so that means that I honestly won't be going for them that often. I was out for the first time yesterday for them, and I was using a regular spinning reel and that was fine, but I often found myself wondering where exactly in the water column I was. If I was close enough to the boat the sonar would usually pick up my lure and I could go by that, but when the wind was pushing us around that didn't work so hot. Counted by line pulls and got pretty accurate with that, but a line counter just seems so much easier.

So that being said, are any of those little clip-on style line counters any good for occasional use, or should I be looking at an inexpensive line counter reel for the odd occasion?

It won't be something I use *that* often, so I really don't want to spend too much money if I don't have to.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams