View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
Here's the thing. The extra money isn't the issue at all. In fact even with the extra money, I'm still under what I was PREPARED to spend.

The issue here is we negotiated a deal on this a month ago. I've brought it up to them about 5 times in the past month that I wanted to get the paperwork finalized on this. Each time it was answered by them saying they didn't want to finalize anything until we'd test drove the vehicle (even though I'd driven one elsewhere...). When this bs came up yesterday, it became clear why they didn't want to finalize anything. They're hoping that seeing the vehicle (probably specifically my wife seeing the vehicle) would make me agree to "just another $8 b/w" (I mean it's only an extra few thousand dollars, right?).

It says a lot about the character of these guys. Another question though...how tied am I to this dealership for warranty work anyway? I thought that was through the manufacturer, not the dealership?
The issue is that you didn't actually negotiate a deal, you just think you did. They used some slimeball tactics to get you back in the door and so far you have played into their games.

You have 3 options. Suck it up and pay the extra, play hard ball and hope they accept or just tell them to get lost and give your money back. Whichever you choose you want to get it done instead of dragging the process out. The longer you leave your deposit in their hands the less chance you will have of getting it back if you decide to go that route.

Here is what I personally would do.

I would phone another dealer and ask them if they are willing to match the offer sheet you had for 229(or can try and get them lower but showing an actual offer sheet should make them more ready to accept). Tell them you don't like the way the other dealer is treating you and that you would like to do the business with them instead.

If they are willing to match I would then ask the dealer you are currently dealing with for your money back because you are going elsewhere. If they offer you a better deal in hopes you will stay then it is up to you if you would rather pay that scumbags salary to save a few bucks or say screw them and go elsewhere to support a better run business.

As for taking your car elsewhere to get service/warranty I don't think it would be an issue but I don't know Honda's policies specifically. With a good dealership if they know you bought the vehicle from them and you bring it to them regularly for services etc you are probably more likely to get a deal if you ever run into a non warranty issue. Buying the cheapest vehicle you can find each time is tempting but you are better off in the long run if you can develop a good relationship with a specific dealer and then you might be able work out deals on parts, service, new vehicles etc in the future.