View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
A fellow wanting to make an informed decision for himself would have endeavoured to make arrangements to go and shoot a couple rifles in each caliber to see what he likes.
But for the most part, that point was totally missed.

Perhaps a touch harsh Dick. When I was buying my first centerfire I did tons of research, but I only have one acquaintance who hunts. I was interested in the .270, .280, 7mm, and 30-06, plus the similar sized wsm's (basically looking for the old "one gun that can do it all, or most of it"). Luckily he had a .270 and a 30-06, so I could try those, but that was it. He told me either could do the job on deer, elk, and moose, so I just chose the one that had less recoil. So it's tough if you don't know people who own all the guns you are interested in.

I longed for a "demo day" for guns, like they have for golf clubs. Thats how I bought my clubs. Tried everything in one day, bought the set that I could hit the best (Pings, most expensive of course, sheesh). Since the gun manufacturers or retailers can't/won't have a demo day, maybe that is something AO members could do once or twice a year.... have it at ranges near Edmonton and Calgary, bring your gun or guns, let other people try them!