View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
What do you mean by "a sit"? Not a blind or a stand but just...sitting on the ground? Were you hidden in a spruce tree or something? You shot the doe at 50 yards, but what sort of terrain were you looking out onto? Were you dragging a scent wick or anything?
No synthetic blind or stand, just sitting in natural cover, usually on the ground but I carry something to sit on, with a clear line of sight to where I previously noted good sign (used trail or scrape). Sitting still is by far the hardest part for me, especially once the chill sets in.

On my successful sit I sat on a fallen tree with cover in front (branches and some underbrush). I was looking into a clearing with a lot of regrowth happening (a fire came through here about 10 years ago); on the far side was tall and thick pine, to both my left and right was a lot of underbrush. I wanted to sit on the opposite side of said clearing as the underbrush would not have obscured my sight to the same extent but alas, the wind was wrong for that.

No scents, no calls. Just found the sign and waited patiently (or at times, not so patiently).

I promote environmental conservation.