View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K45 View Post
How many people young and old have either taken there lives
There was an article at Reuters a few days ago: U.S. coronavirus deaths projected to more than double to 410,000 by January

You can read the whole thing, by here is a direct quote from the article:

Although U.S. infections have declined to around 45,000 per day from a peak of around 70,000 per day in July, COVID-19 was the second leading cause of death, the institute said. That would place it behind only heart disease, having surpassed cancer as a cause of death in the United States.

The second cause of death in the US. Probably has potential to become the first.

Also interesting in regards to their forecast, they have been on the low side from the beginning more often than not and that’s the reason Trump had cited this particular model in his “predictions”. For example, their forecast back in April-May for the total number of deaths that would be reached in August was met at the end of May or beginning of June, just under or over 100K (I don’t recall exactly). I don’t have a source for that but that was my personal observation. Also, think of it as that’s 100,000 just 3 months ago and they are currently close to a double of that number. The article mentions that the IHME model has usually been pretty conservative with its forecasts.

Also interesting that according to WHO, 290,000-650,000 die of flu-related causes every year worldwide (source, if interested). I highlighted “related” because I am assuming not all of them died directly from running nose, but probably of some complications that were caused by the influenza virus, perhaps due to preexisting conditions and whatnot.

If the forecast of the model materializes, the United States alone will have more Covid-related mortalities in 10-11 months than the whole world’s average flu-related deaths in a year. That’s with a few months’ worth of lockdown and, while pretty open now, life still not being back to “normal”. The numbers are pretty staggering.