Thread: Bloodless doe
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
The doe was faceing me,at about a 45 degree angle.At about 90m,with full winter gear. a seond or two to fire.freehand.The bullet 143gr eld-x 6.5 cm hit a rib.The thread not about shot placement,but the lack of blood on the snow with such a devastating wound,basically the vital organs destroyed.The two bucks the previous weeks.With good rest,dropped them were they stood--Area 314--316.The wt I shot for the spine.
When shooting an animal that is "quartering to" or head on it's not at all uncommon to not get a a pass through and thus very little to no blood, especially with a caliber like a 6.5CM. I've seen this on many occasions. I'm sure the does body cavity was full of it but there is only a tiny little entry wound.
Even broadside shots that hit high lung sometimes don't result in much blood. The cavity fills up with it but the hole is too high for it to escape. Happened to my buddy with a 270 using 130 grain Federal soft points this season.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky