Thread: Bloodless doe
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Hunting with a doe tag in area 314 this past Tuesday,I had an unusual occurance.With fresh snow in the am.Early in the afternoon it cleared.Walking a gas line,a doe walked out about 80m.I dropped to one knee,when the crosshairs on the chest cavity I fired,I was sure I heard the bullet impact.The deer bolted.I tracked the deer on fresh snow,for about 70m with not one drop of blood showing,looked like a clean miss.Not the case,I found her dead,the bullet had exploded the liver,no exit wound.Without snow I doubt I would have found her.Pound for pound I have found the wt deer the most difficult to down on impact--But no blood thats a 1st.
It looks like you are shooting too far back. Behind the shoulder is for bowhunting. keeps your broadhead away from bones. but with a rifle. use the front leg and go straight up. halfway up the body on the deer. hit both lungs and the hydrostaic shock from the impact of the bullet with shut down the central nervous system and shut everything down. with my 6.5mm SS using 140 gr berger VLD's. of the 18 deer that rifle has taken these last few years. 16 dropped right on the spot. total shutdown. the 2 that didnt was 1. a whitetail buck at 340 yards that was a direct heart shot and it ran 30-40 yards before falling over. 2.was a big muley buck that was bedded and it was a good shot, 270 yards, it stood up, took a few steps, and was probably about to fall over when i put another in the lower neck to anchor it. I shoot hundreds of round every year and it makes all the difference