View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Default I think my letter hit a nerve

Reply from Pierre J. Dalphond senator from Quebec

Thank you for your comments.
As for myself, I will vote in favour of Bill C-71, even though the bill is clearly insufficient.
My proposal is to replace a complex classification and registration system by a ban of all firearms for civilians, except hunting guns commonly used by, namely First Nations, hunters and farmers (which would continue to be regulated).
This proposal takes into consideration the views of Canadians, which in our vibrant democracy is critical.
As you may know, polls indicate that a majority supports the views that I have expressed. Responding to the concerns of their citizens, the elected officials of Canada's two largest cities, Toronto and Montreal, have recently adopted resolutions asking for a ban on handguns and assault weapons.
To look at facts and scientific evidence is also important for a senator guided by the principle of sober second thought.
Here are some facts that must be considered when reflecting about our current legal framework: the Quebec City Mosque, Polytechnique School, Moncton, and Dawson College attacks were committed by a licensed gun owner, using mostly or only firearms legally purchased in Canada.
Another one is the social benefits derived from allowing the use of restricted firearms by civilians.
When comparing the rate of homicides in free societies such as England, Australia, Canada and USA, it is interesting to see the value of different regulatory approaches.
In the end, for most people all these factors point to the need for a ban like the one that I am proposing.
Finally, it is also part of my duties to protect fundamental rights, including the right of innocent citizens to live.
Another fundamental right is the freedom of speech. I will thus always respect your ability to advocate for gun ownership with fewer restrictions. However, I clearly do not share your views and will continue to advocate for a ban on the lines described above.
Best regards,
Pierre J. Dalphond

He seems to have a solid position LOL