Thread: Deck help
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 07:16 PM

Airdriedeck...

Another " Important note " re the ledger ... you said the builder already installed it at time of house building ... that's pretty common ... mostly done so that it's in place at the time the siding/stuco etc is done... but what else is common , is that they will only screw it to the house .

A ledger must be fastened using " Lag bolts " as per code .

EZM...( I am not criticizing , just discussing )

It sounds like you are suggesting that the 6x6 posts be set into the ground .

I'm not 100% sure if its code for cement piles on a residential deck ( I know it is on a commercial property )

But I would strongly suggest them , as a cement pile won't rot

( cement ) piles should be ( same as you said for the 6x6's ) 48" or deeper.

And finish above grade, with a sona-tube (with a saddle set into the cement ) .

Then the ( much shorter )6x6's to the beams ( OP stated his deck is only 2' high )

Airdriedeck ... one more tip ... if you don't already have them on site ... and you are doing your own pick up...don't grab your deck boards until you are right ready to install them . and only as many as you will install in one or two days .

I suggest this because .... if as you say , you are doing this yourself ( no experience ) , and a friend ( with experince ) , It's going to take you longer than you think ...

I'm not sure if this is a weekend and evening type build , or if you have several days off ,
I'm guessing your deck boards are 2x6 x14'/16' or 5/4x 14'/16' ... and they end up sitting around for a while , they won't be as pretty as you thought they were. in the beginning .

If THEY deliver, THEY pick ,you get what you get ...If YOU pick-up , YOU pick-out, you get YOUR choice

Really sucks trying to lay down a nice straight deck with warped, bowed or twisted lumber .

If ... you are going all out and buying composite deck boards , then just ignore this last paragraph .

Enjoy