View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I left the Strats just before the closure of Harvey Barracks which was a great garrison.....these were the days and I knew the regiment would never be the same elsewhere....hard as it was time to move on, oh well that's life.
I knew they changed the name from Sarcee Barracks to Harvey Barracks, but I'm not sure when as I was out of province from '63 to '87 with the Air Force.

I have to tell you a story about Brigadier Harvey. It was during WWll, my Dad was in the RCAF and my mother, grandmother and I (I was just a toddler) lived in Calgary, 16th Ave SW between 4th and 5th st in a two story house. My Mother said that we lived on the ground floor and upstairs resided a WWl vet who was currently Harvey's official driver. My Mother said that he used to give the three of us a ride downtown in Harvey's staff car.

After I retired in 1987 I was residing in Innisfail for a short time and I got a call from my Mother who was at the Legion and said to come down right way as there is someone you have to meet. It turned out by sheer coincidence that it was Harvey's driver and was living west of Innisfail at the time. His last name was Michael.

About 4 yrs ago I was visiting the NWMP cemetery at Fort MacLeod and I noticed a grave site about 50 yds away that had a chain fence around it with small Canadian flags. I wondered who that was, went over and it was Brigadier Harvey's grave site.