View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
I see what you guys are saying but still having a hard time with this reticle. I should really look through one so forgive me. What do you guys do in this example?
Elk is at 950 yds which hash mark do you use?
My 300 Win Mag shooting 215's at 3000 fps drop data: 1000 yds=23.1 MOA or 241.5"
950 yds+ 21.2 MOA or 211.3"
That's a difference of 30.2". I don't see how you can hold reticle that accurate unless it is one of those very busy ones that I just can't use. To confusing for me. Is there something I am missing here? This will apply to other yardages as well but obviously gets more extreme the farther out you go.
Regardless of your scope reticle setup, 950 yards is an extreme shot. 10 mph crosswind would equal 8 feet of wind drift. 2mph difference in wind would miss an elks vitals. If the wind is travelling in a different direction anywhere in your 950 yards it would be a miss on the vitals. just because you can compensate for the constant of gravity doesnt mean you should think you can properly and consistently make the shot to do it on an animal.

Is the purpose of your hunting because you enjoy the connection with being outside and respect your quarry, or is this just an excuse to shoot reactive targets for an ego booster? If your asking questions about reticles and bullet drop, you should be looking for large peices of paper to shoot at, or a gong, not some animal.

You can shoot 500 to 600 meters with a $100 entry level bdc scope. Start there and get a feel for how much wind factors into your shot and then decide if you want to invest in a scope for longer distances. The wind for 500 or 600 meters is enough for a complete miss on target if it isnt read properly. If you cant figure it out at 500, then getting a scope for 800 or 1000 is kind of a waste then wouldnt it.

Last edited by Nyksta; 03-27-2018 at 09:27 AM.