View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Hmm, touchy subject. I should just stay away from this one but nah, I love a good debate.

I'm newer to icefishing and this is my plan.
Single holes, even doubles connected together(6 or 8") I do not plan to mark as I agree with some posters, they freeze up very very fast and I simply don't see danger there.
Wouldn't that depend on air temperature, and adjacent ice temperature? How do you know they'll freeze up very fast. Have you sat and timed it? Are you thinking a couple hours? 15 Minutes?

Okay, say you've fished until dusk, or a bit later. Now you're heading off the ice, and there's really not too many people around. In that situation, I'll agree with you. By morning, they'll be froze up.

Say you get to the ice first light. You cut a double 8" hole, but you head off the ice at mid-afternoon. You're at a popular lake like McGregor. In this case, I'd say it is irresponsible to leave the hole unmarked. As soon as you leave, then a family may unknowingly come into that region. Dad scouts around for any dangers, but doesn't see your double hole, because its not marked. 3 year old kid is wandering while Dad is fighting a big pike. OOPS. Kid falls all the way in, and his wet snow clothes prevent him from being able to free himself. Dead kid. If it was marked, then Dad would have seen it, and more actions could be taken to prevent the catastrophe. If it was just a single hole, then kid gets a wet boot and screams for a while. No biggie.