View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
That's great news. Caught my last salmon on the North branch of the southwest Miramichi in 1981. Even back then people were talking about the Greenland commercial over fishing destroying the fishery. I just hope they can enforce it and keep the foreign nets out.
Yes,I've wondered about that as well,ie;so Greenland is on board but what about Russians,Japanese and everybody else hammering on them as the salmon run the gauntlet of International Waters between Greenland and Canada?🤔

Then there's still bycatch of Atlantics from other fisheries targeting other species.Fish draggers that catch non-target species for which they have no quota pretty much just get dumped them at sea.....SSS rule.......and Greenland is home to enourmous shrimping industry,coincidentally shrimp is Atlantic Salmon's primary prey/food source at sea,its why they migrate to Greenland to begin with.....I wonder how many Salmon get caught in shrimp draggers?

Anyway,it's a huge step in the right direction....and Dad has been grumbling about selling the camp on the 'chi for a few years now with declining stocks and zero retention(he's old school Hook n Cook,..NOT really C&R so much lol),might have to talk him out of it or buy it myself??