View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 01:27 PM

All good points as above.

I would only guess that the Odd-6 ended up as a sniper unit becuase of the weigth of the darn things back then, Ha.

The 7.62's that were issued at the time were a few llbs lighter for troops who we're watch the over all weight they could pack, the new rifles were a bit short too if I recall. "All just a guess as I did not pay close atention too them. I had 2 M1 Grande's years ago in 30-06, and one had too go since it was well worn down in stock as well as riffling. Super fun to shoot since a box of ammo was $3.56 if I recall,,, surplus military left overs.

I'd buy them by the lot or pallit whole sale from the States.

Any-who,,, the 308 & Odd-6 are close as mentioned, and a furry critter would not know the differnce when meeting up with the 165 too 200gr.

My last Remmy medium heavy barrle was a 308 that was so smooth too shoot at distance, and I ran mostly 150's until large game season when I'd switch over to 180's or 200's,,, was always packing the 200 round nose as first round in the bush since it would flatten out the furry critters with sharp claws & teeth at close range to limited distance. "Still have a box of them left over some where".

That 308 is long sold off 13 years ago, and I darn near jumped on the 7mm-08 or 308 band wagon again, but some how my mid night dreams lead me back too the 06. Not 100% sure why, but it must of had something to do with the case size.

Another idea was the 7mm mag, but I owned 20 different mags over the years, so that part of the adventure is long past,,, 300 Weathery knocked down some nice size critters at distance. Then when I got back into Archery I found my self up close like never before,,, so I took what I learned with bow & arrow and applied it too rifle with real good luck.

Now looking back over the 40 ish years I see that mose of the knock downs were between 40 and 140 yards. "Most" in the 87 yard range too be exact.

It wasn't till I joined the local firing range that I was soone hooked on target shooting,,, not pro type stuff like the other,,, more of the fun plinking stuff out West along the foot hills.

At one time target shooting was all I did, so the furry critter harvest idea was put on hold. Pal's have been feeding me all kinds of wild game cuts that brought me around that I enjoy jerrky, specail sausages and other fine cuts. Bb# Moose is always a meal.

Couger roasts are like butter when done up right.

So main idea is fun target plink and harvest what citters allow me to bring home, clean harvest yes, not a clear shot pass... No need for me too bring home when there is all ways the next day or week when things work out.

I had no luck with the horns, "very much", so I became a meat eatt'er in-stead,Ha.

Buy and fill the tag if it works out, if not,,, the funds are well spent on the enjoy-ment of hangging out at the lakes rocks and trees.

Simple activity since I booted TV a few years back.

Pal Don