View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 10:17 PM

Default Return too 30-06

Its been 40 years in the makings as I get ready to thin the heard as I find 1 too gett'er done.

Old school I guess as my first new rifle 40 years ago was an 06,,, "Midland" of all things that cost me $170 buck-a-roos, Ha. Dam thing shoot 1 1/2" groups for many years.

It didn't take long for me too continue the spending spree over the next few years as I bought and sold multy 100's of rifles, but I always had my fav's like most of us on the Out-Doors-Man (Women) forum. These are the fire-arms we use the most for hunting & target shooting...

My top picks over the years were 22 varmint, 6mm, 243, 7X57, 308, 270, 30-06, 7mm, 300 win & weatherby, 338, 375 H&H for a short stint too.

I've been doing lots of reading over the last year on which way too go, plan was too jump onto the 7mm-08 band wagon, or 270 that has done me well over the 32 years.

So why the change up too the 30-06, and what model would I choose, bullet selection & optics !

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...fles/25-06.jpg

Change-Up:
The change up is 1 rifle for all since time has come to scale back,,, ok,,, 3 rifles really. 22 goffer getter, black powder 50 wad chucker, and a 06.

The 06 will fill my target shooting days, light game getter & hog-down on the thick skin Elk & Moose,,, easy for a fire-arm like this too bring them down in the 40 too 150 yard range. "Still able too work out at further distance if needed.

The old school 30-06 can be loaded too my liken's depending on how I want too address targets & game harvesting,,, much like many other fire arms out there.
The 06 fits my bill since much of the reload stuff I need is pretty much free since pals have end-less stock too pick from. Bullets, powder, primers, cases, and loading dies,,, I guess the plan is too keep it simple for the remaining years ahead.

I've had many a brands of fire-arms over the years, but Remmy mid quality has done me well,,, I'll epoxy bed my self, retune trigger, order the 24" custom barrel, add thick tine at same time, and hand too bench tune stock for my fit. "All old school stuff for me."

Bullets:
The nice about re-loading is choosing the bullets that work for me.
Frugal Winchester bullets for normal target shooting since a person can order 2000 in a lot.

Sierra for the long range stuff, and Speer/ Hornady for game harvest.

Optics:
I never sell my scopes, the 2 favs I have are Leopold 3X9 & 4.5X40, quick change mounts too switch when needed. Life time warranty has more then paid for its self on both these scopes over the many years, Ha.

So,,, the task at choosing a rifle too fill my needs took a while, and I'm glad my pal pointed me in this direction too find what I needed too do.

More too follow as game plan falls into place.

Pal Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-28-2016 at 10:24 PM.