View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 10:03 PM

Default "48 hours"

I consider myself fortunate to live in the country and get to watch wildlife on a regular basis. This winter, there are 30 or so deer living in my woodlot. This includes 14 bucks...6 of these 3.5 years or older. These pics chronicle the shedding process of one of those mature bucks...a nice 8 point.

I watched him in the evening feeding with the other deer...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The next morning while having a cup of coffee, I noticed he wasn't out as usual feeding with the other deer. When I looked through my binos, I could see tines sticking up.
[IMG][/IMG]

The deer that were out there were in no big hurry to get back to cover. They made me wait a while before they finally left and I could go take a closer look. What I found interesting is that probably a dozen or so of the deer stopped and spent varying amounts of time smelling/checking out that shed antler.
[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, when I knew they were far enough back into their bedding area, I went to get a closer look. This is the "how it lay" pic.
[IMG][/IMG]

And a couple of reference pics...the first 2 circumferences are just over 6" at their smallest point.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]