View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 09:40 PM

My grandparents and their two kids, and their friend Harry Longstaff came to Alberta from England in 1907 and bought a quarter section farm north of Leslieville, and Harry homesteaded on the NE quarter, their farm was on the SW quarter. Harry sold his quarter to Grandfather in 1914 and returned to go to war. When I was growing up in the 40s and fifties, there was a buffalo trail easily followed through the poplars and still faintly visible in some of the cultivated fields on both quarters, and a couple of buffalo skulls in the bush alongside the section of trail not far from the house. It was kind of a treat to see them there undisturbed after so many years. A couple of my American cousins "discovered" them when visiting and took them home to Idaho, which annoyed me greatly. Some neighbors had arrowhead collections, but I only ever found one and it was a beauty, about 3 1/2" long, cream colour and tapered to a needle point, and I found it on the highest portion of the trail where it crossed the two quarters .