View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
[14] The word "safe" is not defined in the Storage, Display,Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations, the Firearms Act or in the Criminal Code. The approach to be followed in such circumstances is described by the Supreme Court of Canada in R. v. CD.; R. v. C.D.K., [2005] S.C.J. NQ 79 at ~27: In order to determine the meaning of an undefined term in a statute, it is now well established that a court is to read the words making up the term "in their entire context and in their grammatical and ordinary sense harmoniously with the scheme of the Act, the object of the Act, and the intention of Parliament" .... [citations omitted]
[15] The dictionary definitions of "safe" generally describe the noun as a "strong container, usually of metal, and provided with a secure lock for storing valuables": see Black's Law Dictionary, 5th edition; Dictionary. com, http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/safe;
~35. In my view, an interpretation of the word"safe" in its ordinary, dictionary meaning of a metal container with a secure lock is consistent with the objectives of the legislation and the intent of Parliament.
[22] I find that the cabinets in which the defendant's prohibited firearms were stored fall within the definition
of a· safe.
Both of the lockers in which the prohibited firearms were stored were made of steel. Each cabinet was securely locked: one by a key and a padlock; the other by a locking system that uses a key to unbolt rods in the door from the frame of the unit.
Looks like the judge said the lockers meet the definition of a "safe"

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."