View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Default What would you do? (or what did i do wrong?)

Little lookback on our elk hunt this past sat and lookin for some advice.

My hunting partner and I headed into our foothills zone at about 5am. nice clear night with a fresh layer of snow. We got deep into the bush where there is an open clearing. Sure enough on the walk in, we herd bugles. Not long bugles, but short calls and kind of quiet. We creeped along to close the distance and saw a herd of about 25 animals in the clearing, with a good size bull. We stopped about 200yards out to assess the situation. Wind was in our face and consistent as it was still dark. As it started to get light, we creeped in to about 100 yards. My partner set up for a shot, while i creeped back and started cow calling (hoochy mama) while holding up the Montana elk decoy (hoping to draw an animal in to my buddy with his Bow). All eyes in the herd were fixed on me, and the cows were calling back to me and doing that bark thing/call. The lead cow was really on me and was doing the "barking". There was a big bull in the herd, but he didn't seem to care about me (he was back in the herd and not out in front). I was doing this calling thing for a bit, but the herd, nor the bull would come a little closer. they ended up about 70yard from my partner, but still too far for a shot. they clearly saw my decoy and seemed interested.

I tried to get around them a bit with the hope of maybe pushing them into my friend, but the wind started doing some weird things when the sun rose. the herd finally had enough and took off quick out onto land we didn't have permission on. I think the wind may have busted me, but not sure.

Question is... why didn't the bull come closer or seem to care? Would a bugle (rather than a cow call) have made any difference? What would you have done in a similar situation?

thanks guys.