View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 08:08 PM

Some good stories here.

My story was when Dad, my younger brothers & I went on a weekend fly-in fishin trip out in the Whiteshell MB. The out post shack had a screen door, 4 ft plywood walls & canvas roof, it was located on a long peninsula. First night sitting around the camp fire a big sow & 2 cubs appear, they spent two nights hanging around our camp right out side the screen door. Our food & fresh walleye was in a cooler inside our shack, all we had was an axe and our fillet knifes, didn't get much sleep, in the morning the cubs were up a tree within sight of the camp, we were surprised to see they tried to eat the sunlight bar soap & punched holes in our portable water jug and licked the grease on the propane stove, but that was it. When we went out fishin, we took our coolers into the boat & were able to stand up & tie the picnic table against the screen door which worked, they didn't get into our shack. Next night same drill, they hung around the shack making noise for hours then went down to the boats but fortunately didn't do any damage. We were relieved when the Beaver showed up Sunday afternoon to pick us up. It was obvious Dad was concerned for our safety, he kept his cool, the following year we packed a 12 ga. Cooey & slugs in a sleeping bag.

I had nightmares for years of different bears chasing me I would shoot a few but I always woke up before they get me. Then the dreams stopped after one big sow bear took me into her chest/front paws & kept me from freezing one cold Mb winter night .... weird dreams but true & still don't like bears.

D.