View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 04:09 PM

I have been fortunate enough to inherit a number of family heirlooms. My grandfather fought & served in France from 1914-1918, and survived the (infamous) Battle of the Somme in 1916. Enlisted in Belfast Northern Ireland in 1914 at the ripe old age of 18 .... can't even to begin to imagine how I would feel if it was my 18 year old son. In my possession are his 'dog-tags', military issued prayer book, a silver German cigarette case (never did hear the story on that one), as well as his military service medals. He lived a long, interesting life and died peacefully scant years years short of his 100th birthday. Both my parents worked when I was in school and I spent a lot of time with him. He was quiet man, but greatly respected. He was (and still is) a great man in my eyes and the single biggest reason I have so much respect for anyone who serves. Only fitting that I honour his memory with this post.

PHOTO:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VCQsse2x7ZH7Hy0G3

Last edited by lone wolf; 04-21-2018 at 04:23 PM.