Thread: Cortland 333
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Pike....

Fishermen have been lead down the garden path and feed BS.
Graphite rods suffer an incredible problem. Thematerial is so stiff that the only way to make a decent casting rod in lighter line weights is to make either the rod thinner or thinner side walls. In both cases, a fly will and have completely torn off the tip.
So, in order not to have this incredible failure rate, the rods are made with thicker sidewalls and thereby stiffer and taking a much heavier line to bend them. So what do tbe manufacturers do, call them fast action rods when really they are rods that are mislabelled. Nearly every graphite rod made in under 6 weight requires a line weight one or more line weights heavier than the rod is labelled.
Don't buy into the BS.
For those that get caught by the underlining crap are readily identified as looking for all tbe world like a windshield wiper on high.
Now I gotta get back to building rods that are true to the line weight suggested.

Don
With all due respect, this whole post is BS. Most every well made fast action rod is true to weight if you know how to use them. The wind is up and the river is open if you would like to test your theory.

Modern fast action rods throw arrow tight loops that buck the wind and deliver pin point accuracy compared to medium action rods and simply blow away fiber and bamboo.

Slow rods are like traditional long bows. They are challenging and nostalgic but comparing them performance wise to a modern compound is a fool's errand; comparing to a high powered rifle is ridiculous.

I have some old fiberglass and bamboo rods and can cast them too, but I see absolutely no reason to be sitting on the bank waiting for the wind to go down or watching a large trout feeding out of reach on the opposite side of a medium river like it was 1970.

But, to each his own. Enjoy your gear as I am sure you will but please don't try to explain how 99% of us fly fisherman are doing it wrong while you alone possess some divine wisdom. It isn't modern fishermen that that have been lead down the garden path and fed BS, it is a very few left miles behind stuck in a rut.