Thread: Cortland 333
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 11:49 AM

With widespread use of stiffer and lighter graphite in rod building, we have seen an evolution of rods towards faster tip casting actions,,, and stiffer rods typically have less bend / feel down into the butt / handle of the rod. I suspect this has created a generation or two of casters who through rote casting and muscle memory have developed casting strokes dependent on the timing and cadence necessary to cast their fast action rods. In other words they have become mechanical casters with a very consistent (typically fast) casting stroke very dependent on timing over feel.

So in todays world, we have a lot of casters looking for that rod and line combination that suits their casting stroke (which is good for business for the fly rod and fly line makers!!!)

That said, I would venture to argue that most really good casters can make pretty much any balanced rod / line combination perform admirably becuz they can cast by feel and can readily adjust their stroke to match the rod line combination in their hand.

Back in the day of bamboo and glass and even into the early graphite days, rods were much softer in action requiring the angler to adjust the casting stroke by feel to match the rods action.

By the same token, many fly anglers (new and intermediate) would do well to chose a slower medium action fly rod on which to learn to better feel their casting stroke.

And FWIW, I agree that for lighter line, shorter casting applications like dry fishing for stream trout, a DT line with a slow to medium action rod can be the ticket to enjoyable and successful days on the water.