View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Banned

I don't use ft/lbs in calcs. but lot's of people still do so so that can play a factor in doing this theoretical shopping.

In reality few of us regularly kill anything over 400 yards and there are reasons for that well beyond the cartridge chosen. The cartridges we are yapping about are typically far more capable than we are. That could be exactly the point Salavee is trying to drive home, maybe i'm making assumptions again?

So theoretical shopping with a few youtube kills here and there is what we are working with lol. The creedmoor is the david and the .308 win is goliath. hardy har har

There's nothing wrong with the math. It's what explains how a 160 gr 6.5mm projectile from a 6.5 swede can kill things way bigger than most people have any reason to even believe possible.

Also explains why in the big bore cartridges compared on things like elephants and dangerous game that the math around ft/lbs isn't a factor as some really big fat heavy hitters throwing huge ft/lbs aren't penetrating far enough to kill when much lighter hitters with higher s.d.s and velocities are, and have always been able to penetrate those same animals. So i long ago learned to ignore the ft/lbs math.

If the penetration is there (s.d.) and minimum recommended impact velocity for bullets are known then that is the most accurate way to predict terminal performance imo. How does ft/lbs factor in again? (aside from being a neat calc. of v2xm/450240)

I thought this had largely been educated as far less important than s.d. and recommended minimum impact velocities? Has there been a shift or people like the sound of those ft/lbs still, or we just behind the times a little still?

And Nyksta, if i didn't know any better i'd say you were riling Kurt up just for fun? You dog

p.s. if the military testing posted above and the rest of the evidence shown on steel, the prc movement, those who've shot both extensively at range, hunting stuff etc. doesn't show that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better choice over and above how good it looks on paper then i don't know what is...just for argument sake for hunting only, the 1/3rd less wind drift, less recoil ....are going to certainly help anyone kill more frequently and accurately at 600 yards and further, than with a .308...that's easy to understand right? the s.d.'s likely higher so will penetrate even better at all ranges too, the math is there, the evidence will support the math, that's how it works, that's why we can shop in confidence

what the individuals can do in the field with their choices is an entirely different ball game altogether, when you choose say a 6.5 creedmoor over a .308 win for example what you've done is you've maximized your odds for anything over point blank zero range...you've chosen the most efficient option, your odds will be higher of success and more forgiving of your mistakes at anything beyond 300 yards, makes more sense for hunting or when life is at stake(military)

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 05-16-2018 at 12:22 PM.